Here in Namibia, they don't have snow days. But rain days, yes. Below are some pictures of the river that we have to cross to get to school. Up until the past few weeks, it has been completely dry, and we just drive across it in the fearless combi (van). But with all the rain we've had lately, the river has flooded and it prevented us from going to school on Thursday, and called for an emergency evacuation on Friday!

Here is the river on Tuesday, the first day we had to "forge the river" (I felt a little like I was in the old computer game, Oregon Trail) on foot.

Friday morning, some of the girls coming over to the other side of the river before we decided it was safe for us to cross.

Halfway through the day on Friday, a man from the farm came on horseback to inform us that more water was coming and the river would rise quickly. (They opened one of the dams). So we had to make an emergency evacuation from school in the quickly-rising, strong-current water. I love adventures! :)
3 comments:
I've never heard of a rain day before...but then again, I've never had to cross a river to get to school. =)
gotta love the rain.
this is so great! I love unexpected adventures. I mean, they're good stories. sometimes very... interesting... to live through :) thanks for the pics. sent one to my dad! :)
Post a Comment