Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Change is coming...

Just two short weeks from today, my team of 5 other girls and myself will be boarding a plane in New York departing to Africa. I can't quite believe it is actually here and words fail to try to describe the flood of emotions I am feeling as the date quickly approaches.

Leaving for Africa feels like so many things...

It's "I've been dreaming and waiting for the day I could GO for so long and now I'm actually doing it," excitement.
It's "I'm leaving family and best friends that I love deeply and can't imagine my day to day life without," sadness.
It's "I have NO idea what to expect, how I will respond, if I will get sick, if I will struggle in ministry," fear.
It's "A season of life is now coming to an end...a season of ministry, a season of family, a season of friendships, a season of learning," grief.
It's "A new season is beginning, a season that God has promised will be 'far more than we could ever ask or imagine,'" anticipation.

But through all of these emotions...the wavering back and forth between being ready to board the plane right now and maybe just wanting to stay here where things are comfortable,

God is stretching my faith. And I have no choice but to trust Him right now. It's such a hard place to be, but SUCH a great place to be. To know that I'm called to say "YES" to wherever Jesus leads...and give up my desire to 'call the shots.'
AIM (Africa Inland Mission) has asked us to read the book "Ministering Cross-Culturally" by Sherwood Ligenfelter.
In the opening chapter, there was a part that stood out to me:

"We must consciously release our attachments to home, income security, convenience, significance in work or ministry, and even comfort of family. We must enter a new community of strangers, often without many if not most of the comforts and symbols of home, and begin as children, learning at the feet of those we have gone to serve... The challenges will shape us; the changes will trouble us. Our bodies will get sick, our minds will suffer fatigue, our emotions will sweet us from ecstasy to depression. Yet the love of Christ will sustain us..."

And that is the most important thing: that the love of Christ will sustain us. I truly believe that the steadfast love of the Lord is better than life (Psalm 63:3) and that this truth will fuel my entire existence in Rehoboth, Namibia as I work with children, interact with our host families, and share my life with teenagers and adults that I meet along the way.

Some things you can be praying for:
  • The "goodbyes" - oh how hard these will be. Pray for my family and those closest to me-- that God will give all of us shared vision of the beauty of what He will accomplish during this time.
  • Travel...with all the airport and luggage craziness, we could definitely use your prayers. We will be flying from Kansas City to New York on September 8, and then from New York to Johannesburg on September 10-11, and then from Johannesburg to Windhoek, Namibia on September 12.
  • Our team training. We will meet for the first time in New York on September 8. There are 6 of us...pray for united hearts, connections, and a great time of getting to know one another.
  • That our love for and trust in Christ will be STRONG and fuel our joyful existence... no matter how hard things feel.
SO much love for all of you... Looking forward to updating you SOON from Namibia! :)

Kristen

3 comments:

Betts Rawalt said...

Thank you for the update and I will be praying for you as you journey to Africa.
Love in Christ.....Betts Rawalt

Cathi Geisler said...

It's insane how almost every word you wrote is exactly what I'm experiencing here on my end.

I am so excited, overwhelmed, nervous, joyful, in anticipation, and sad... all at the same time, or within the same day!! it's crazy! I have never experienced anything like this. but I am so ready to see what God will do with this team. I can't believe it's finally here.

I can't wait to meet you girls and become of one mind. I think God's put together an amazing bunch!! I have been and will continue to pray for you. :) see you soon!!

katherine said...

Saying goodbye is so hard! We'll miss you but we're really exited for you guys and for all the kids you'll be loving on!