Wednesday, April 23, 2008

These transforming words...

Here it is. The blog has begun as I am SO close to graduation (16 days) and SO ready to focus on preparing for my time in Tanzania.
Details have started to come together for our trip more this week... and I have had a renewed sense of excitement and anticipation for this adventure.
There are so many "whys" to this trip that I could possibly write a book, but the main 'WHY' is that I believe Jesus Christ is satisfying. Even on the days when my sin is so strong that I don't "feel" it... He firmly holds my heart and keeps me pressing on. He is worthy of my life. And so risking everything for the sake of displaying His worth for all to see brings me the MOST joy and brings Him glory. Life is exciting when I'm living this way.
That's how I want to live the rest of my life. So I follow Him. Even when reality creeps in and it is no longer just an adventure in the future, and the realness of it begins to confront me with real fears.

Lilias Trotter was a missionary in Algeria in the early 1900's. I have read about her life in the book Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God by Noel Piper. Each time I have read the story of this woman who trusted the Lord with her WHOLE life, there has been one quote from her journal which has continued to move me to tears. These words have been confirmation from the Lord that HE WILL SUSTAIN and SATISFY. That even though I might not have realized what this journey of following Christ would mean for me when I began it, I trust the truth and know I have tasted the goodness of knowing Him. And that's more than enough for me to offer what I have to give: my life.

How many of us have said and sung with all our hearts "Anywhere with Jesus," but at the same time we did not realize all that it meant for us. Indeed at home, and surrounded by all that home means, we could not know. When the test comes we must not forget that "anywhere" means for missionaries something different...and let us take very good care not to make a misery of anything that "anywhere" brings us. To us in Algeria it must mean sometime or other, Arab food. Do we object to it? And mice, do we mind them? And mosquitoes, do we think them dreadful? In some parts it means close contact with dirt and repulsive disease. Yet if Jesus is there, what have we possibly to complain of?...
And yet let us evermore write over all our miseries, big, and for the most part very little, these transforming words "With Jesus." And then the very breath of Heaven will breathe upon our whole being and we shall be glad.


Yes, Jesus, WITH YOU means that there is nothing to complain of. Nothing to fear. Give me faith to trust you as I long to follow you wherever you lead...I can't wait to see what you have in store.


How you (and I) can be praying:
-Mackenzie and I are starting our support raising this month. Pray that we trust the Lord and recognize HIM as the ultimate provider. Pray that He would raise up a team of people to help us get there.
-Pray for us as we prepare emotionally and spiritually. Right now we are focusing on graduating... we feel as though we have put this preparation on the back burner. I need the Lord to fill me up and give me discipline to be in His word.
-We just received news today that we have two other girls joining our team. They will be there for 6 months, and we will be there for 8. Their names are Amanda and Molly Bea. Pray that as we begin communication with them, God unites our hearts.
-Pray that when we are in Tanzania, when we are physically sick, heart sick, and homesick, that God will bring to mind the words I have written tonight... and the words of Lilias Trotter who has gone before us, "With Jesus." It is never too early to pray for this...I know maintaining perspective will be a struggle.



Grateful for Christ's mercy in my life today,
Kristen

6 comments:

Emily said...

Yay!! Now I am the first to leave a comment on your new blog as well...what a privilege. :) I am so excited for you girls and honored to partner with you on this journey. Can't wait to see how God works in you and through you in the coming year. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am only second to emily. What a blessing. I just prayed for you girls and am pumped about your next year. Your words here are so passionate. I can't wait to do ministry alongside you soon. Love you girl, dave

Steve Bailey said...

As always, Bailey's take third place, one place for each child. We are so excited for you and all that Go dhas called you to. We'll pray that you will stay free of the Funk and the Fever...DEE-EWE!

Glack and Fam

tnt teaching said...

Miss Kristen,
You have modeled to me what stepping out in faith looks like. You have an awesome heart for God and others. You have been such a blessing to me. Thanks for being such a great teacher.
Stephanie

katherine said...

We are so confident that God will bless many people through you because you love Him so much.

Words that stick with me from my study of Matthew this year... we can never outgive God. He will bless you as you bless others.

Yay for graduation!

Amy said...

thinking of you today, kristen! i am looking forward to hearing more about this adventure to come...